• Home
  • Contact Us
  • FAQs
The Bishops Message

TEST

TEST

Books Showcase

Bookstore

Objects of the CLS

According to Clause 3 (a) of the Objects of the Memorandum of Association under which the C.L.S. was established to takeover in trust as lessees of the immovable and movable property in India to the United Society for Christian Literature whose head offices are situated at 4, Bonverie Street, in the city of London, England. The United Society for Christian Literature formerly known as Religious Tract Society started in 1799 was established in India in 1935 and it carried on its activities to print and distribute religious tracts. The United Society for Christian Literature Society, by deed of settlement dated 1-12-1960, transferred the properties at Vepery and ParkTown to the Christian Literature Society.

The main objects contained in Clause 3 (b) and (c) of the Memorandum and Articles of Association:

(b) To promote the circulation gratuitously and otherwise of religious tracts, books and treatises

(c) To make grants of money, paper and literature to the Protestant Christian Churches, Missions, Missionaries and others throughout India.

Other objects are ancillary or incidental to the main objects.

According to the proviso to Clause 3 of the Memorandum and Articles of Association “all the above objects be carried on in accordance with the Scriptural principles outlined in the following extract from the declaration read at the One hundred and thirty sixth meeting of the Religious and Tract Society marking the inauguration of the United Society for Christian Literature.

The uniting Societies have both adhered to the Protestant Evangelical doctrines of the Church of Christ, receiving and teaching the revelation of the Father in His Son, Jesus Christ, the one Mediator between God and Man, Himself both God and Man, the perfect obedience of His life, His atoning death, His resurrection and ascension, His promise to come again, the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit in the Church as Sanctifier, Guide and Teacher of all believers; and the inspiration and authority of Holy Scripture.” The above statement is the epitome of the Christian religion under which the C.L.S. was constituted and according to which its objects are being carried on. A copy of the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the C.L.S. is sent herewith for ready reference.

It is clear from the above, that the C.L.S. was established as a religious society to carry on the objects in the Memorandum and Articles of Association in accordance with the Scriptural principles outlined in the Holy Bible.